Preventing Lawsuits through Workplace Investigations
The voice of an employee who has complained about what they perceive as a wrongful act in the workplace (harassment, discrimination, or other inappropriate behavior at work) should be heard if the employer wishes to foster a respectful work environment and trust between employees and supervisors. An unbiased, appropriately tailored investigation of the incident is also an absolutely critical step in minimizing further legal risk. An independent investigation ensures that an employer has the information it needs to respond in a fair and unbiased manner to an employee’s complaint, while offering the employee accused of misconduct a safe forum to fully respond to the complaint.
Our investigations are impartial, thorough, prompt, and appropriately customized for the circumstances.
In addition, our extensive training in lie detection and micro-expression from the exclusive representative of the Paul Ekman Group authorized to provide such training, makes us uniquely skilled at assessing witness credibility.
Here are some common reasons why companies investigate employees or situations:
- attitude problems
- substance abuse
- discrimination or harassment complaints*
- “hostile environment” allegations*
- threats against others
- vandalism and other sabotage
- violations of work rules
- safety problems
- workplace theft, drug use or other illegal activity
- other employee/supervisor misconduct
* Bear in mind that the California Fair Employment and Housing Act requires an employer to conduct an effective workplace investigation of a harassment complaint when it arises. An employer who fails to take this step could significantly increase its risk of exposure to a lawsuit.
What We Do
Negotiation and Dispute Resolution
At Pactum Factum, our mission is to leverage science and law to inform the art of negotiation and dispute resolution resulting in a process that can breed elegant, durable, creative and practical outcomes.
pactum factum (Latin): A done deal
2950 Buskirk Avenue, Suite 300
Walnut Creek CA 94597
1 (925) 322-0545